We are pleased to announce that AI3SD have teamed up with the Directed Assembly Network to run a virtual summer school this summer (2021) on Machine Learning 4 Materials & Chemicals which encompass our overlapping Network interests of AI, Machine Learning, Artificial Photosynthesis, Biomimetic Materials, Crystal Design & Engineering, Materials, Molecules, Photochemistry, Photocatalysis and Supramolecular Chemistry. This virtual summer school will run between the 6th July and the 24th August, and will run on British Summer Time (BST).
The key dates are as follows:
- 21st May 2021 – Applications open
6th June 2021 – Deadline for applications (Submitted via our Summer School Application Form)
- 11th June – Successful applicants announced
How to apply
Please fill in the Summer School Application Form and also get your supervisor or line manager to email email@example.com in support of this application.
To be eligible for this summer school you should be a PhD Student or Early Career Researcher at an eligible UK institution. Higher education institutions, and some research council institutes and independent research organisations are eligible to apply. A list of eligible organisations to apply to EPSRC is provided at: https://www.ukri.org/funding/how-to-apply/eligibility/.
This summer school is FREE to attend! But we do have a limited number of places.
Cost & Expectations
Please note that we only have a certain number of places, and as such we ask our selected students to commit to the following:
- To either attend the first 4 events or catch up with the recorded content afterwards.
- Attending the final 4 events as these are project related.
- Undertaking 8-10 hours of work across the final 4 weeks to complete the set project work.
Each project group will be assigned a mentor, and there will be three weekly mentor meetings in addition to the organised sessions. There will be prizes for the best project and each attendee will be presented with a certificate. We appreciate that illnesses happen and personal matters arise, we will take these into account, and reserve the right to alter groups to take account of any change in circumstances.
There will be 8 half day zoom sessions on Tuesday afternoons from 14:00-16:30 BST. These sessions will be a mixture of talks, and project work ending with a presentation session whereby the students will present their group work to members of both Research Networks. The full dates and times of each session are listed below. Successful applicants will be sent a full agenda upon their notification of acceptance.
- 06/07/21 14:00-16:30: Directed Assembly Research & Challenges
- 13/07/21 14:00-16:30: AI for Scientific Discovery Research & Challenges
- 20/07/21 14:00-16:30: Talks on AI3SD & DA Research
- 27/07/21 14:00-16:30: Talks on AI3SD & DA Research
- 03/08/21 14:00-16:30: Introduction to Projects and Project Group Formation
- 10/08/21 14:00-16:30: ECR Talks & Project Mentoring
- 17/08/21 14:00-16:30: ECR Talks & Project Mentoring
- 24/08/21 14:00-16:30: Presentation of Projects to Syndicates